Human Powered. Authentic Performance.



You're just starting out.

So are we.

Let's talk.




Thursday, December 23, 2010

Jim: A Different Title.




“It’s okay to be boring”. This was the planned title for today’s post, until I received a healthy dose of perspective.

This weekend I was on the phone talking to my friend Darryl (@lovingthebike) explaining how we received SO much snow and that I wasn’t certain if it would allow me to get the run mileage needed for the Austin marathon in February.

Darryl mentioned all the cool things I would miss... the marathon, a tweet up with our #bikeschool buddies, visits to the local bike shops and the North American Handmade Bicycle Show. I didn’t want to let him down so I told him I’d try a 10 mile long run this weekend and see how it went.


In reality I haven’t been hungry enough to put in the miles for marathon training. I’ve been perfectly happy with my streak of low mileage runs. What’s wrong with a boring, predictable 5K or less every day? It’s okay to be boring and consistent, right?

The next morning instead of bolting out the door for a long run, I decided to slurp some coffee and watch the Ironman Triathlon. One amazing story after another unfolded... people becoming an Ironman after surviving cancer, with amputated limbs, at 80 years of age, the incredible stories just went on.

One lady walked the entire marathon in a supportive boot. Her doctors removed the casted stress fracture two weeks earlier. My take home message? The human body is capable of far more than we can imagine.

Sitting there on the couch with an empty coffee mug and a fresh perspective, I thought about all my lame excuses. Sure there’s a ton of snow out there and last week the thermometer had troubles hitting zero, but today was another day - sunny and almost 20 degrees.

My running haiku tells the rest of the story (for now).

Painted little tree

things we see under the bridge

planned 10 ran 13.

5 comments:

  1. Love the Ironman show. It's like crack. And it's got Al Trautwig, who has one of my favorite names ever. Trautwig!

    You're going to rock in Austin!

    -Luke

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I'm so glad that you've found your inspiration again. Just wait until you get here man, the motivation and inspiration is going to be at an all time high when both of us are together and buzzing at high frequency. I can't wait for February.


    Darryl

    ReplyDelete
  3. About damn time! Now get out there and run! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love, love the ironman show! Thanks also for the great words and reminders!

    I can relate...I think the battle for many runners/cyclists is accepting some days your mind can take you farther than your body wants to go, and other days the body is leading the charge. However the ride/run goes is not so much the issue as knowing that whatever transpires you are out doing what you can, hopefully having fun, and hanging/meeting some great people along the way.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Darryl, got in a 16 miler today so unless I wake up tomorrow unable to move my legs, I think we are back on schedule to keep Austin weird - at least the week of Austin marathon anyway!

    Alisyn - do you want to race or something!? ;)

    ReplyDelete